Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Fixing an HP 3314A function generator - repair complete!

Wrapping up from Part 2

I managed to source a CA3082 locally, so there is no need for any workaround. I popped it in, and it worked.


I had a problem with one of the reed relays, but this time it was not on the driver side, but on the actual reed contact. It wouldn't work however I exercised it by quick switching. By luck, I had a handful of reed contacts with the same size, so I snipped the old one out, it was spot welded and soldered in the new one. Carefully, they are fragile. I say this from experience.

 Fortunately both leads could be soldered well, it would have been hard to weld them again. 

I went trough the adjustment section of the manual, got everything in spec. Now I have proudly resurrected a vintage 3314A from a quite bad repair attempt by a previous owner. 

It is a nice and still quite capable instrument.



No comments:

Post a Comment