Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Fixing an HP 5342A microwave counter. The anticlimactic last part.

In Part 3 I stopped while waiting for parts to make the adapter board for the ROM. Well, I'm still waiting for these, looks like the Covid situation doesn't make it simple.
However, while casually browsing eBay, I found a seller in Israel selling a CPU board for an insanely high price. However there was a "Make an Offer" opportunity, so I sent in an similarly insane, but low offer. I was astonished when a couple of hours later eBay popped up the "Offer accepted, please pay now" message. Sometimes it pays to be aggressive in bargaining.
So two weeks later this came in the mail.

This is actually a newer version of the board, part no.: 05342-60072, but the only difference seems to be the use of one larger ROM instead of the 3 2k parts.
I plugged the board in, and magically everything came to life. The counter was working fine, option 002 measured the dBm's etc. So after much fun with debugging and researching I was able to take the easy way and a simple board swap fixed it. Isn't it cheating?


No comments:

Post a Comment